Scope and Contents
This collection consists primarily of genealogical charts, correspondence between the Andersons and distant relations, and photographs of various family members dating to the mid-nineteenth century. There are numerous printed materials, but most extensive is the detail on relationships between families, and navigating identical first/middle names can be confusing. Some family names of lesser note include Fenner, Turley, Gibson, Butler, and Wisdom. Biographical sketches are prevalent and estates are well documented. Included are records from numerous genealogists, amateur and professional among family and non-family, who have contributed to the enormous wealth of information.
This material is open for research. Stored off-site at the Library Service Center. Please request this material via email@example.com or call 713-348-2586.
Permission to publish material from the Anderson-Greenwood Family History Records, 1850-2004, MS534, must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
Benjamin Monroe Anderson founded Anderson-Greenwood and Co. in 1945, intending the company to design and manufacture aircraft. Beginning in 1947, along with brother-in-law Marvin Greenwood, the firm produced five AG-14s, a two seat monoplane. After the Korean War, the firm switched to valve design and developed the first line of soft-seated precision safety relief valves.
Anderson was born March 2, 1916 in Oklahoma City, OK, son of Frank Ervin Anderson and Burdine Clayton Anderson. His father and uncle, William Lockhart Clayton, founded the Anderson-Clayton Co. cotton firm in 1904. Ben Anderson was a nephew of Monroe Dunaway Anderson, philanthropist who established the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He graduated from San Jacinto High School and University of Texas, and studied aeronautical engineering at the Curtiss-Wright Technical Institute. Anderson served on the Boards of the Houston Multiple Sclerosis Society and Scott and White Memorial Hospital. He died Sept. 27, 2007 in Houston.
Mary Greenwood Anderson was born on Jan. 2, 1917 in Houston to James and Ella Harris Greenwood. She attended Kinkaid School, graduated from San Jacinto High School, and Rice Institute in 1938. She did post graduate study at the University of Texas. She was a founding member of the Texas Medical Center Library and Friends of Fondren Library at Rice, and among her many civic memberships was the National Society of Colonial Dames of America. She and her husband established the James and Ella Harris Greenwood Endowment Fund for research in metabolic biochemistry at Rice University. Mary Anderson died on Nov. 4, 2005 in Houston.
10 Linear Feet (19 boxes)
Language of Materials