This materials is open for research. Stored off-site at the Library Service Center. Please request this material via email@example.com or call 713-348-2586.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish from this material must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
The Rice Memorial Center (RMC) was built from 1957-1958. It officially opened on December 19, 1958 under the charge of John Kennedy, its first director. Over the years a variety of offices and businesses have existed in the building from the Rice Campus Store to Sammy's Cafeteria.
From 1985-1986, the Ley Student Center was added to the building providing much needed space for existing businesses and offices. This new addition was designed by Cesar Pelli and Associates who also worked on Herring Hall.
The RMC currently houses Rice Coffeehouse, and the offices of the Thresher, the Campanile, and the Rice Program Council just to name a few. In addition, the RMC's Grand Hall also hosts various campus-wide events throughout the school year.