The Cohen House Records collection consists of financial statements, bills, building specifications, donation and contribution records, and guest records for the Cohen House faculty club between 1920 and 1970. Also included in the collection are records of equipment and furnishings transactions, original pieces of china used in Cohen House, correspondence between George S. Cohen and various departments and people at Rice University, news clippings, scrapbooks, and photographs.
Boxes 1-6 and 15-18 stored off-site at the Library Service Center. Please request this material via email@example.com or call 713-348-2586.
Permission to publish from the Cohen House records, UA 128, must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
Biographical / Historical
In the 1920’s George S. Cohen, a Houston business man and owner of Foley’s department store donated $125,000 to Rice University to build a faculty club in honor of his parents Robert I. and Agnes Cohen. The faculty club was officially opened at homecoming in November 1927. The building was enlarged in 1958 when the main dining room and terrace were added. The cost of this renovation, which was also funded by George S. and his wife Esther Cohen, was $260,000 and brought the size of the building from 7,100 square feet to 13,600 square feet. In 1976 a major renovation took place and in 1980 the Esther M. Cohen Memorial Garden and the fountain were dedicated. In 1983 the employee restrooms and locker rooms were renovated and the air-conditioning was updated. In 1985, crown molding and new wall coverings were added. In 1993 and 1994 more renovations took place to add wheelchair ramps as well as new club offices and restrooms. In 2006, further renovations replaced the ceiling in the dining room and placed early photographs of campus reprinted by Geoff Winningham from the original glass plate negatives.
Collection of blueprints, correspondence, financial records, photographs and more relating to the design, maintenance and furnishings of the Cohen House Faculty Club. Also includes samples of dishes and linens used in the original dining room as well as materials related to the Cohen family.
This collection was a gift donated from the Margaret Doyle estate on January 14, 1986.
No future additions are expected for this material.