This material is open for research. Stored off-site at the Library Service Center. Please request this material via email@example.com or call 713-348-2586.
Permission to publish material from the Twenty-Six Literary Club records must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center.
A group of Houston women residing in the Woodland Heights neighborhood founded a club in 1909, initially calling it “The 26 Club,” so named (according to tradition) because their modest homes could accommodate up to 26 guests. To their chagrin, they later discovered that this was also the name of a saloon on Houston Avenue, and promptly changed their name to “The 26 Literary Club” (which for archival purposes has been re-phrased as “The Twenty-Six Literary Club”). The daughters of a number of the original members became students at Rice Institute (later University) after it opened in 1912 and continued the Club, which over time was expanded and, along with its social activities, assumed various philanthropic projects, including providing scholarships for young women entering Rice.
The records of the Twenty-Six Literary Club document the activities of this women’s social and philanthropic club established in 1909 by a group of Houston women residing in the Woodland Heights neighborhood. Some members’ daughters became students at the Rice Institute (later University) after it opened in 1912 and continued the Club, expanding its membership over the years and engaging in various community projects, including providing scholarships for young women entering Rice.
The Twenty-Six Literary Club Records were donated January 6, 2004 and August 12, 2005 by Joyce Nagle (Rice, Class of 1944).
Fondren Library MS-44, Rice University 6100 Main St.
Twenty-Six Literary Club records, circa 1910-1994, MS 66, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University. http://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/resources/64 Accessed December 06, 2022.