The collection consists of records of thirteen different student organizations at Rice Institute. The
dates of information differ from organization to organization, the earliest being 1938 and the latest, 1962. Financial records are the most common kind of information. For some of the organizations there are membership lists or members’ names in receipt book duplicates. Meeting minutes are included
for some of the organizations, and some include their constitution and by-laws. Records of a few of the organizations include correspondence concerning speakers for meetings.
This material is open for research. Stored off-site at the Library Service Center. Please request this material via email@example.com or call 713-348-2586.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the Student Organizations Records Collection must be facilitated through the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
Biographical / Historical
The thirteen organizations whose records constitute this collection are as follows:
1) Rice Institute chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, a service fraternity made up of men devoted to the
oath and laws of the Boy Scouts of America. Records included are from 1949 through 1956.
2) Rice Institute student chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers. Records included are
from 1946-47 through 1958-59.
3) Rice Institute branch of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Records included are
from 1946-47 through 1961-62.
4) Rice Institute Class of 1961. Records range from Sept. 13, 1960 through May 20, 1962.
5) Rice Institute DeMolay Association. The records are from 1953 through 1956.
6) Rice Institute Engineering Society. The records range from 1946 through 1956.
7) Engineophytes. The records are from 1938 through 1941, when the organization became a
chapter of Tau Beta Pi. The records of Tau Beta Pi, Gamma of Texas, from 1941 through 1962 are
in a separate folder in this collection.
8) Forensic Society. Records are from 1953 through 1959.
9) Radio Club. Records are from 1946 through 1951.
10) Rice Institute Society of Chemical EDngineers (which became a chapter of the American Institute
of Chemical Engineers in 1948). Records range from 1946 through 1957.
11) Sports Car Club. Records are from 1958 through 1960.
12) Tau Beta Pi, Gamma of Texas. This organization is a continuation of Engineophytes, for which there
Is a separate folder in this collection. The Tau Beta Pi records range from 1940 through 1961.
13) Virginia Cleveland Literary Society. Records range from 1952 through 1959.
Fondren Library MS-44, Rice University 6100 Main St.
Rice University Student Organizations records, UA 039. Woodson Research Center, Rice University, Houston, Texas. https://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/resources/596 Accessed November 28, 2023.