This collection contains the academic papers of William H. Masterson, former dean of Humanities for Rice University and the first Master of Rice's Hanszen College. Included are newsclips, photographs and the Cameron Service Award.
Stored off-site at the Library Service Center. Please request this material via firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713-348-2586.
Restrictions on use
Permission to publish from the William H. Masterson Papers must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
Born in Houston, William H. Masterson recieved a Bachelor's degree from Rice Institute where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa.; he holds masters and doctorate degrees from the University of Pennsylvania. He joined the Rice faculty in 1948 and served as assistant to the president (1957-66), first Master of Hanszen College (1957-66), Dean of Humanities (1959-64), managing editor of the Journal of Southern History and professor of History. He left Rice in 1966 to become president, later Chancellor, of the University of Chattanooga, a position he held until 1972 when he returned to teaching. Named by the Board of Trustees in Feb. 1969 as Rice's fourth president, Masterson declined the appointment after a week due to a flawed selection process. He retired from University of Chattanooga in 1979 and moved to Austin, TX to teach part-time at St. Edward's University and join the staff of the LBJ Library. Masterson died in 1983.
The collection contains one series of Masterson's academic papers and one series related to his wife, Orvetta Masterson. Correspondence, newsclips, photographs, certificates, Rice-related brochures and information on the Masterson Fund are included.
The collection was donated by Masterson's daughter, Ailene Masterson Moodie on July 1, 2013.