The collection, totaling nine document boxes, covers Harris Masterson, Jr.'s life from his schooling through his career with the YMCA. Highlights include correspondence with family members, photographs, school materials and his career.
No access restrictions; this material is open for research. Stored off-site at the Library Service Center. Please request this material via firstname.lastname@example.org or call 713-348-2586.
Permission to publish material from the Harris Masterson, Jr. Papers must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
Harris Masterson, Jr., born June 22, 1881, Brazoria, TX, was the son of Judge Harris Masterson and Sallie Stewart Turner. A graduate of the University of the South in Sewanee, TN (1904) and the Episcopal Theological School of Cambridge [Harvard] (1907), Masterson began his career as chaplain of All Saint's, Austin, TX, 1908-11. He worked with the YMCA in China (Hankow and Wuchang, 1911-16) and the US (1916-17), and became a Red Cross chaplain in 1918. He came to Houston in 1919 to become the organizer, director and chaplain of a community house for Rice Institute students, later known as Autry House. Masterson was active in civic and educational affairs and served in various positions including chairman of the Building Committee of the Houston Public Library Board and as a Trustee for the University of the South. In 1925 he married Elizabeth Simpkins who shared his work with Rice students. The Mastersons moved to France to work with American students in Paris and returned to Austin, TX in 1926 for Masterson to become Rector of All Saint's Chapel. He resigned in Oct. 1935 and died in Austin in Nov. 1935.
These papers cover Houston born chaplain and educator Harris Masterson, Jr.'s life from his schooling through his career with the YMCA. Highlights include correspondence with family members, photographs, school materials and his career.
The papers originally were part of the deposit of the Masterson Family Collection given by Harris Masterson, III (HMJr.'s nephew) in 1966. They were separated from the original deposit in May, 1998.
Judge Harris Masterson Papers MS 468
Harris Masterson, III Papers MS 470
James Lockhart Autry Papers MS 003
Autry House; Carroll and Harris Masterson, III; Neill T. Masterson and Libbie J. Masterson information/vertical files, Woodson Research Center.
The collection originally was placed in Hollinger boxes without any preservation or organizational efforts. Some of the collection had been wet and mildewed; concerns have been addressed. Since the papers were subdivided from a much larger collection, the Masterson Family Collection, information about the Masterson family and business, cultural and social life of Houston may also be found in complementary collections of the Judge Harris Masterson Papers MS#468 and Harris Masterson, III Papers MS#470.