This collection includes two bound volumes of battery records. The letter book in folder 1 consists of copies of Battery General Orders and letters to higher authority concerning personnel matters, requests for supllies and ordnance, as well as reports of the condition of the horses held by the battery. The Company Descriptive Book in folder 2 contains detailed muster / personnel records of all members of the battery as well as lists of the non-commissioned officers, transfers, deaths and deserters.
Permission to publish from this material must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University. firstname.lastname@example.org
Biographical / Historical
The Maclin-Fox-Dege Battery was part of the Texas Light Artillery, forming the 8th Field Battery of the Army of the Confederate States of America. In 1861 the Battery was stationed near Brownsville, later moving to the Galveston area. The battery was first commanded by Capt Robert B. Maclin, CSA. He was transferred in early 1862, and command passed to 1st. Lt P. Fox, CSA. In January 1864 P. Fox, by this time promoted to Captain, was in turn transferred and Capt. A.E. Dege, CSA, took command of the Battery.
This collection includes two bound volumes of battery records concerning personnel, orders, supplies, ordnance and more.
The collection was loaned to the Fondren Library by the original owner, Mrs. S. M. Love of Houston, in June 1962. No contact has been made between Mrs. Love (or her relatives) and the Fondren Library for 48 years. After a due diligence search of the Web and inquiries in the Rice University Development Office database, no records were found of Mrs. Love or any heirs. For this reason the status of the collection has been changed from "on loan" to a gift of Mrs. S. M. Love of Houston, Texas in June 1962.