This collection consists of a series of letters and a map annotated by Mr. Atwood concerning his archaeological findings in the Galveston Bay area. In these letters, Mr. Atwood relates his knowledge of aboriginal spoil banks and other archaeological findings to Hardin Craig Jr. (librarian at Fondren Library) as well as H. A. Bernard of Shell Development Company and a Forest Supervisor in Louisiana. Also included in the collection is a map covered in marks which Mr. Atwood reveals in his letters to be Indian measurements, and that he has discovered that there was much more Indian activity in the area than previously thought by archaeologists. The area described is Stephen Creek.
Stephen Creek is at the junction of State Highway 156 and Farm Road 224 on Lake Livingston, seventy-five miles north of Houston in northeastern San Jacinto County. The nearby creek was named after Miles G. Stephen, a Georgia native who moved to the area after having first lived in what would become Polk County. Other early settlers who moved to the area before 1842 included Jim Hopkins, Arnett Harrell, and Dan Sellers. Most residents were small farmers who grew cotton and corn and raised hogs. The Stephen Creek post office opened in 1915 and was closed in 1954. The community's population was estimated to be twenty through the early 1960s. Since the completion of Lake Livingston Stephen Creek has grown. Still more residents live in the Holiday Shore development, which offers recreational opportunities on the lake. In 1990 the population of Stephen Creek was 135.
Handbook of Texas Online, s.v. "Stephen Creek, Texas," http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/SS/hns82.html (accessed April 8, 2009).
Fondren Library MS-44, Rice University 6100 Main St.
W. L. Atwood archaeological letters and map, 1966, MS 178, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University. https://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/resources/152 Accessed February 21, 2024.