One folder containing a Congregation Beth Jacob new building dedication book and a 40th anniversary book document some of the history of the congregation from 1963 to 1971.
1963 - 1971
Conditions Governing Access
This material is open for research. Stored onsite at the Woodson Research Center.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the Rabbi Horwitz Congregation Beth Jacob (Galveston) Collection must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
The Woodson Research Center use policy is that researchers assume sole responsibility for any infringement of privacy, literary rights, copyrights, or other rights arising from their use of the archival materials. In addition to any restrictions placed by donors, certain kinds of archival materials are restricted for the life of the creator plus 50 years. These materials include, but are not limited to, student grades, transcripts, and any job applications or recommendations.
Biographical / Historical
Congregation Beth Jacob is a Conservative Jewish synagogue located in Galveston, Texas. Founded in 1931, the congregation was made up of two groups of Orthodox Jews (one from the Russian tradition, the other from an Austro-Hungarian background) which came together in an effort to unite the community. Led by the Rabbi Louis Feigon, the members raised funds to build a new synagogue on the site of the old Hebrew Orthodox Benevolent Association. In the 1960s, the congregation expanded, building a new wing that included a 242-seat sanctuary, a large social hall, a library and more school rooms for the expanded Sunday, Hebrew and Hebrew high schools. In the 1970s the congregation joined the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism.
Fondren Library MS-44, Rice University 6100 Main St.
Rabbi Horwitz Congregation Beth Jacob (Galveston) Collection, 1963-1971, MS 987, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University http://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/resources/1494 Accessed October 04, 2023.