Stored offsite at the Library Service Center. Please request boxes by contacting email@example.com or 713-348-2586.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish from this material must be facilitated through the Woodson Research Center.
Biographical / Historical
Opened in 1953, the Rice Nuclear Laboratory would later become known as the Bonner Laboratory. It was named in dedication to the late Tom W. Bonner who was a renowned nuclear physicist both in the local community and internationally. The lab was designed by Abel Pierce and George F. Pierce Jr. The Bonner Lab was originally home to one particle accelerator, a Mega Electron Volt Van de Graaff machine. A second particle accelerator was acquired in 1961. The Bonner Lab was the United States’ first fully equipped nuclear laboratory based out of a university. Major discoveries and accomplishments in the field of nuclear physics were discovered in the Bonner Lab. The two particle accelerators were donated to other laboratories in 1972 and the Bonner Lab was used for music practice and performance as well as computational engineering. In 1994, the Bonner Lab building was demolished. The laboratory was located where Duncan Hall is now.
Physics course evaluations, grant funded research applications, experiment notes, related to the T.W. Bonner Lab at Rice University.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This material was transferred in 2021 by Dr. Paul Padley, Interim Vice President for IT and Chief Information Officer, Professor, Director of the T.W. Bonner Laboratory, via Fondren physics librarian, Debra Kolah.
Fondren Library MS-44, Rice University 6100 Main St.
T.W. Bonner Physics Laboratory records, 1957-1995, UA 442, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University http://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/resources/1480 Accessed September 29, 2022.