Two boxes of Houston Hadassah membership directories and three scrapbooks containing newsletters, photographs, newsclippings, postcards, event invitations, and campaign buttons document membership in the organization from 1955 to 1965 and 1993 to 2002, as well as some of the activities members of the Houston Chapter of Hadassah participated in from 1970 to 1976, sans 1974, and 1981-1982.
Of particular interest are the contents of the membership directories which inlcude, not only membership information but the history of Hadassah, current projects undertaken in Israel, board members information, a message from the president of Hadassah, and a number of advertisements. Both scrapbooks are informative; however, scrapbook #2 is of particular interest due to the amount of material it contains. It is over 120 pages which include newsletters, news clippings, invitations, postcards, memorabilia, and photographs -- including a photo of Hadassah board members with Mayor Hofheinz when he signed the proclaimation for "Hadassah Day" and a group photo of past presidents.
The pages have been removed from both scrapbooks and each page has been placed in mylar sleeves to preserve the attached materials. The scrapbooks' original order was maintained. Both scrapbooks have been digitized.
This material is open for research. Stored onsite at the Woodson Research Center.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the Houston Hadassah collection must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
The Woodson Research Center use policy is that researchers assume sole responsibility for any infringement of privacy, literary rights, copyrights, or other rights arising from their use of the archival materials. In addition to any restrictions placed by donors, certain kinds of archival materials are restricted for the life of the creator plus 50 years. These materials include, but are not limited to, student grades, transcripts, and any job applications or recommendations.
Biographical / Historical
Hadassah was founded in 1912 by Henrietta Szold after returning from a trip to pre-state Israel where she was horrified by the impact starvation and disease had on her people. She motivated Jewish women to support a feet-on the-ground approach to end the deplorable conditions in pre-state Israel. Hadassah Medical Organization flourished over the next century into two world-class medical and research centers in Jerusalem.
The Houston Chapter is comprised of 15 groups that meet in various areas of the city, at varying times. It is the largest Jewish women's organization in Houston.
Debbie Angel was president of the Houston Chapter of Hadassah at the time this collection was created.
This collection consists of two boxes of membership directories from 1955 to 1965 and 1993 to 2002 and two scrapbooks that span the years 1970 to 1976 and one scrapbook from 1981 to 1983 that include newsletters, event invitations, news clippings, marketing material, photographs, and memorabilia.
The materials in this collection have been arranged in two series as follows:
Series I: Membership Directories;
Series II: Scrapbooks
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Debbie Angel donated the materials in August of 2018 via Josh Furman.