The River Oaks Bank collection consists of 4 boxes which contain certificates, correspondence, event documents, financial records, marketing/public relations materials, newsletters, news clips, and photographs, that document the history of the River Oaks Bank from 1955-1988.
1955 - 1988
Conditions Governing Access
The material is open for research.
Stored offsite at the Library Service Center and require 24-hour notice for retrieval. Please contact the Woodson Research Center at 713-348-2586 or email@example.com for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish material from the River Oaks Bank collection must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University.
The Woodson Research Center use policy is that researchers assume sole responsibility for any infringement of privacy, literary rights, copyrights, or other rights arising from their use of the archival materials. In addition to any restrictions placed by donors, certain kinds of archival materials are restricted for the life of the creator plus 50 years. These materials include, but are not limited to, student grades, transcripts, and any job applications or recommendations.
Biographical / Historical
River Oaks Bank & Trust - originally chartered as Hampton Oaks State Bank - opened on February 14, 1947 at 2119 Westheimer Road in Houston, Texas. The name was changed to River Oaks State Bank in 1950, and the organization was changed to the River Oaks Bank & Trust Company in 1972. The bank moved to the River Oaks Bank & Trust Tower on June 8, 1970, located at the intersection of Kirby Drive and San Felipe Road. The organization occupied the basement, first and second floors of the tower with the main banking lobby located on the first floor. The bank offered five "cornerstones" (services): financial counseling, investments, banking, estates, and trusts. The River Oaks Bank & Trust Company was renamed the River Oaks Bank in 1984 and was acquired by Compass Bank-Houston in 1992. It was renamed River Oaks BR that same year and relocated to 2001 Kirby Drive.
Certificates, correspondence, event documents, financial records, marketing/public relations materials, newsletters, news clips, and photographs document the history of the River Oaks Bank from 1955-1988.
The materials in this collection have been arranged in eight series as follows:
Series I: Certificates, 1976
Series II: Correspondence, 1969-1988
Series III: Event Documents, 1970-1987
Series IV: Financial Records, 1969-1987
Series V: Marketing/Public Relations Materials, 1967-1987
Series VI: Newsletters, 1970-1987
Series VII: News Clips, 1955-1987
Series VIII: Photographs, 1970-1987
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The material was donated to the Woodson Research Center by Robert Hewell, 2018.