Five boxes, 3.5 linear feet, of organizational papers, photographs, scrapbooks, correspondence and newsletters document the coordination and implementation of events organized by B'nai B'rith Women's Council including the annual Good Heart Humanitarian Awards dinners from 1952 to 2000. Of particular interest are photographs of the 1990 awards dinner honoring Houston's mayor, Kathy Whitmire, scrapbooks of early BBWC events, and a "Ritual for B'nai B'rith Women's Chapter" booklet from 1956.
Permission to publish material from the B'nai B'rith Houston Women's Council records must be obtained from the Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library.
The Woodson Research Center use policy is that researchers assume sole responsibility for any infringement of privacy, literary rights, copyrights, or other rights arising from their use of the archival materials. In addition to any restrictions placed by donors, certain kinds of archival materials are restricted for the life of the creator plus 50 years. These materials include, but are not limited to, student grades, transcripts, and any job applications or recommendations.
Biographical / Historical
Founded in 1843, B’nai B’rith is the oldest and largest Jewish service organization in the world, with men’s lodges, women’s chapters, and youth chapters in countries all over the world.
The B'nai B'rith Women's Council of Houston launched its first Good Heart campaign in 1967. It was designed to be the only time during the year that members would be asked to contribute directly to B'nai B'rith Women. A culminating event was planned each year to celebrate the conclusion of this fundraising effort.
For the first time, in 1976, the Houston Council chose to add a new dimension to the Good Heart campaign by presenting the Good Heart Humanitarian Award to an individual who made outstanding contributions to the community in keeping with the ideas of B'nai B'rith women.
In 1990, B'nai B'rith Women and B’nai B’rith reached a formal agreement that clarified the nature of the relationship between the two organizations, recognizing B'nai B'rith Women as an independent organization, affiliated with B’nai B’rith.
In 1995, B'nai B'rith Women declared its full independence by changing its name to Jewish Women International (JWI).
Excerpted from: https://www.jwi.org/history/
3.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes) : Mostly in good condition with some water damage
Organizational papers, photographs, scrapbooks, correspondence and newsletters document the coordination and implementation of annual events organized by B'nail B'rith Women's Council, including awards dinners to honor the Good Heart Humanitarian Award recipient.
This collection is arranged in 7 series:
Series I: Artifacts
Series II: Correspondence
Series III: Event Materials
Series IV: Newsletters
Series V: Organizational Papers
Series VI: Photographs
Series VII: Scrapbooks
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Materials were donated by Terri Bamberger on April 24, 2018 and by Sheryl Eskowitz on August 7, 2018
Fondren Library MS-44, Rice University 6100 Main St.
B'nai B'rith Houston Women's Council records, 1952-2000, MS 748, Woodson Research Center, Fondren Library, Rice University http://archives.library.rice.edu/repositories/2/resources/1184 Accessed January 19, 2022.