The materials cover the founding of Shadyside, its deeds restirctions, trustees' reports, legal matters and correspondence.
1919 - 1984
Conditions Governing Access
Stored onsite at the Woodson Research Center.
Stored offsite at the Library Service Center and require 24-hour notice for retrieval. Please contact the Woodson Research Center at 713-348-2586 or email@example.com for more information.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to publish from the Shadyside residential collection must be obtained from Woodson Research Center.
Shadyside is a 38 acre residential subdivision of the city of Houston, composed of 28 house sites, on two streets, located near Rice University and Hermann Park. It was developed between 1916 and 1919 by Texas oil man Joseph Stephen Cullinan as an elite country-type residential enclave that soon became home to several of Houston's leading families, including those of Hugo Neuhaus, James Lykes, and Harry C. Wiess. The Wiess home, at 2 Sunset Road, was later willed to Rice University to be used as the president's house.