Skip to main content

Meyerland Plaza development photographs and newsclippings collection

 Collection
Identifier: MS 115
Finding aid note: Stored on-site at the Woodson Research Center.

Scope and Contents

This collections consists of photographic views of construction of Meyerland Plaza, and of its tenant businesses. Included also is a series of press clippings detailing the court conflict between a group headed by T.A. Robinson and another by Harris McAshan and Associates to charter a single bank in Meyerland Plaza.

Dates

  • 1950 - 1984

Conditions Governing Access

This material is open for research.

Conditions Governing Access

Stored on-site at the Woodson Research Center.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to publish from this material must be facilitated through the Woodson Research Center.

Biographical / Historical

The property known as Meyerland Plaza and its neighboring residential area was originally acquired by Joseph Meyer, who over time, purchased some 1600 acres in southwest Houston between Brays and Buffalo Bayous. His son, George B. Meyer, inherited the property and, with his family, formed a corporation to develop the land in the family name. On his retirement, his daughter, Mrs. Leota Hess, became president of the Meyerland Company, operator of Meyerland Plaza.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes)

1.11 Gigabytes (33 files / 3 folders)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

This collections consists of photographic views of construction of Meyerland Plaza, and of its tenant businesses. Included also is a series of press clippings detailing the court conflict between a group headed by T.A. Robinson and another by Harris McAshan and Associates to charter a single bank in Meyerland Plaza.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of Karen Hess Rogers, daughter of Leota Meyer Hess, 21 July 2017
Title
Guide to the Meyerland Plaza development photographs and newsclippings collection, 1950-1984
Status
Completed
Author
Alan Bath
Date
2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Woodson Research Center, Rice University, Houston, Texas Repository

Contact:
Fondren Library MS-44, Rice University
6100 Main St.
Houston Texas 77005 USA